The Fort Smith Children’s Emergency Shelter Independent Living Program, GetREAL24, provides 24 fully-furnished, one-bedroom apartment units for eligible young adults. This living opportunity, along with other GetREAL24 services, will equip foster youth with the life skills needed to successfully transition into adulthood and become self-sufficient, contributing citizens.
Who is eligible?
Arkansas foster youth who are preparing to “age out” OR foster youth 18 and older with a vision and desire to succeed.
Safe & Reliable Housing
Each resident lives in a one-bedroom, full-furnished apartment in the 24-unit apartment complex
Positive youth development, community engagement, mentorship opportunities and sponsor families
Transition to independence with a self-sufficiency plan that includes post-secondary education and vocational resources
Social & Emotional Well-Being
Mental and physical health and trauma resources
Job resources and apprenticeship opportunities
Life Skills Update
Life Skills will resume Thursday, August 2 @ 6 pm
- Life Skills will be held every Thursday at 6 pm to increase resident attendance and make it easier for volunteers and residents to plan ahead!
- Life Skills are now organized per “Category.” Categories are created based off of the self-sufficiency plan needed to successfully complete GetREAL24.
- Each life skills lesson should last about 1 hour. Every volunteer will be given an outline/rubric of important things to cover during the life skills lesson once a category is selected. Creativity and hands on activities are encouraged to make each lesson memorable and enjoyable!
- Each volunteer will teach 1 lesson in their selected Category about every 4 months. If you are interested in teaching more than 3 times a year please let Morgan know once you complete your volunteer application.
- The volunteer is responsible for bringing all material needed for the life skills lesson. A smart TV is available to display any PowerPoints, documents or videos needed for the lesson.
- Please click on the button below if you would like to teach a life skill!
GetREAL24 Life Skills Categories
- Money Management
- Job & Career
- Community/Culture/Social Life
- Home Life Skills
- Legal Issues
- Personal Hygiene
- High Risk Behaviors
- Time Management
There are many ways for you to support the GetREAL24 program outside of financial contributions. As a GetREAL24 volunteer, you have the chance teach impact a young adult’s life by teaching a life skill, being a mentor, becoming a sponsor family, providing transportation, and more. Apply to become a volunteer today!
Aging Out of Foster Care
1 in 5 foster youth who “age out” will become homeless
Only 3% of former foster youth will earn a college degree
Only half of youth who “age out” will be employed at the age of 24
194 of Arkansas youth “aged out” of foster care in 2014…where did they go?
If you suspect child abuse or neglect, REPORT IT!
Child Abuse Hotline: 800.482.5964